With the holiday season comes a wave of seasonal employment opportunities, such as those in retail establishments. Along with those jobs come a surge in slips, trips, and falls, according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
Falls from portable ladders are one of the leading causes of workplace fatalities and injuries in retail, reported NIOSH. However, slips, trips and falls also may be caused by loose mats, rugs, and wet floors from spills, ice and rain. In addition, poor lighting and cluttered areas can cause injuries like sprains, strains, bruises, fractures, and more.
NIOSH offered tips for these workers during the busy shopping season:
- Alert your supervisor to slip or trip hazards. These may include cords, wires, empty boxes, clutter and spills.
- Clean spills and remove tripping hazards immediately.
- Avoid cleaning products that might make the floor slippery.
- Check that floor mats are flat and not bunched.
- Use handrails if walking up or down steps for added safety.
The organization also offered tips for ladder safety:
- Check that the ladder or step ladder is fully open and locked in place before using it.
- Make sure the ladder’s legs are stable on a flat, non-slippery surface.
- Check the rungs and feet of the ladder for any slippery material. If needed, clean them before using the ladder.
- Check the load limit noted on the ladder and do not exceed it.
If you have been injured by a slip and fall or trip and fall in Pennsylvania, or suffered an accident on the job because of an unsafe workplace, please reach out to us. We may be able to help you obtain compensation for your losses.