Q&A: What Kinds of Damages Can I Claim for a Slip and Fall?

If you slip or trip on someone else’s property and are injured, you have a potential premises liability claim that is known as a “slip and fall.” The property owner may be held accountable for damages related to your injuries if there was negligence involved. “Damages” refers to money awarded for loss or injury. After such an accident, you can seek to recover both economic (or special) and noneconomic (or general) damages.

Economic damages

Economic damages mean a very specific financial loss, such as medical expenses you incur as a result of the injury, or lost wages due to missing work.

Noneconomic damages

Noneconomic damages do not have a specific financial value, because they reflect such things as pain and suffering, inconvenience, or a loss of lifestyle. According to FindLaw, noneconomic damages can be harder to quantify, since every individual’s experience is unique.

An experienced slip and fall attorney in Philadelphia understands how to maximize the amount you can recover, through gathering evidence, assembling the right experts, and establishing just how much the injury will impact your life – both since the accident and in the years to come.

Please reach out to us if you would like to learn more about our successful results for clients in this area, or to discuss the details of your own case.